Tuesday, June 7, 2011

High Kicks in Small Spaces

Climbing is known for being rough and tumble. My mom called me a hooligan the other day when she saw the scabs on my elbow, I have poison ivy all over my ankles from last weekend's adventure, my shins are permanently scared and I don't even bother with nail polish anymore. Whether you climb indoor or out, on ropes or without, you'll take a beating.

So for a sport that absolutely rips through my wardrobe I struggle rationalizing spending top dollar on the latest apparel. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate how sweet my butt looks in a pair of lululemon yoga pants, but come on, let's face it, it looks equally fantastic in a pair of Old Navy yoga pants (see exhibit 1 for comparison).


Exhibit 1.


As this examination has proven, it is silly to spend excessive money on clothing for climbing. (unless a company's got an incredible return policy, like Patagonia or REI (return every item), or if they are designed to take a beating like Carhartt.)

The solution? Well, I'm a big fan of Goodwill and Savers. I think a good pair of used dungarees goes a long way... plus there are aisles of them for you to choose from. Once you select a few candidates, all you have to do is test them out. In a fitting room I would suggest practicing a few high kicks to simulate heel hooking. You want to make sure the waist is flexible enough to allow for ample flexibility and movement, but restricted enough to prevent plumber butt. Also, keep in mind that jeans these days are designed to stretch- make sure to jog in place to test their elasticity.

Plus, in the warmer months an added bonus to buying previously owned jeans is the ability to turn them into shorts sans remorse... heads up though, don't cut them too short or you'll be experiencing some awkward riding up issues.


In case there is any question, I've put together the following proof:

Mathematical Proof- If smart is sexy and you're smart for saving money on clothes that serve the same purpose and keep you looking sexy, then I'm pretty sure that makes you sexy2.

8 comments:

  1. no one is as sexy as katie turcotte!

    ReplyDelete
  2. preach it sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this! hahaha Research well done, Kate Turcotte. You've helped me to remain "sexy2" as I am currently packing for my Pawtuckaway trip...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "looks equally fantastic in a pair of Old Navy yoga pants (see exhibit 1 for comparison)."

    I would argue that the said information is incorrect...I don't know what Lulu does but they put some sort of magic in those damn pants. Being a guy I can tell you...there is a difference ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes i agree with anonymous, Lululemon creates butt magic for all who wear them. That being said, some people's bottoms require no magic

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote Old Navy that's how I keep my expanding butt looking sexy for cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the math doesn't lie!

    ReplyDelete