Friday, May 4, 2012

Real Time Status Update

(warning this post contains more swearing than usual)

As I was sitting in the car on Saturday evening looking at the blood stains on my pants and studying the effects of missing skin on iphone techology I read a message from earlier in the day, "Fuck Rock Climbing."  The hilarity of this was not lost on me as I remembered the vehment rage in which I scratched out this eloquent text message in hopes of illiciting support and compassion from a climbing friend.  I scrolled up and read the next climbing related message, "So excited to be out here, sorry you can't make it..."  It was a matter of two hours from when my mood had gone from optimistic and excited to a hulk like rage.   The emotional roller coaster that is my mood when climbing varies greatly from happy child at Christmas to depressed divorce at a singles night.  I am an emotional climber, "fuck" spews forth from my lips in times of triumph and defeat in equal volumes.  I've always known my mood varies greatly on a climbing day, I just never realized how much until there was documented proof to show my Jekyll/Hyde transformation.

This text exchange got me thinking about communication in our digital age.  I was in the middle of the woods in New Hampshire lamenting about my misfortunes of falling off a problem a few times via electronic signals, voodoo and magents (I don't know how text messages work).  Friends upload pictures and videos of sends instanteously from the crags via smart phones.  My newsfeed on saturday morning is filled with people heading out to the crag and then that evening it's filled with news of the day's triumphs.  We live in a digital age where our thoughts, emotions and desires are communicated to the world in a matter of seconds.  This abundance of information is both a curse and a blessing, but that debate asside I wondered what my facebook wall would look like if I took the time to update it with the rise and falls of a climbing day.  I'd imagine it'd look something like this...





















2 comments:

  1. Reminded me of the video that won Goatfest (the annual climbing movie festival in Natimuk, Australia) this year: https://vimeo.com/40127557

    ReplyDelete