Tuesday, May 3, 2011

TANTRUM!!

So this blog post comes in two parts...

First -

We've all done it or been there when a fellow climber has done it. You can feel it coming, the frustration rises like a river during the spring thaw. As the day goes on more and more grunting ensues, what starts as a simple attempt turns into an aggro encrusted rage-a-thon. Some people handle it differently than others. Some may simply turn red and move to a corner of the crag where they don't speak to anyone for an hour, and some may throw their shoes and light there hat on fire...either way it's not pretty. What I'm talking about is the elusive Tantrum, a climber turning into a white hot ball of rage when they can't send after time and time again.


I know this feeling all to well. Most of the time I can keep my cool and don't let the climb get the best of me, and sometimes...well that leads us to our second part.

Second -

I recently got a nice new D-SLR that I'm totally addicted too. Lucky for me, not only does it take sick photos, but also shoots in full HD video. What a better way to document my long standing project, Pipe Dreams out at Farley, MA (see past blog posts). This past weekend a few of us went out to camp out at the bottom of this epic climb for the send. What ended up happening was falling...a lot. And lucky for you all I got it all on video. Now keep in mind, this video is meant to be just a way for me to practice cutting audio and video clips to create what will eventually be the video of my send of Pipe Dreams. Really I'm just having fun with my new camera. So I created this video that I call Tantrum...and you'll see why.

TANTRUM!! from Bryan Rafferty on Vimeo.

What I learned from making the video:
  1. I really need a wide angle lens
  2. This shit is addictive, make no mistake about it
  3. I hate that foot...really
  4. Boof's mohawk is awesome
  5. A lot on CyberLink PowerDirector 9 (the program I used to cut the video), really easy to use and produces really great quality in little time
  6. Bright colors make a huge difference on climbers
  7. I need to play around with a lot of angles and close ups to make a good video
I hope you all enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. 8. Bright colored bats make a difference against grey rock.

    ReplyDelete