Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Feeling Gravitationally Challenged?

Last weekend, I went to another planet. Okay, I actually went to an electronic music festival in Miami but same difference. I spent several days dancing to face-melting tunes under the Florida sun. And even though my flight home was delayed, bringing me home at 4 am, I still managed to drag myself to Metrorock after a full day at the office. So really, I shouldn't have been surprised at all when I climbed like a lukewarm piece of spaghetti.


Yet my body's inability to pull hard still angered me. I was peeling off of problems that were supposed to be my warm-ups. My movements felt desperately uncoordinated and awkward. My ego was just as sore as my powerless fingers. And the more I got shut down, the more irritable I felt. I was gravitationally challenged.


By the end of my session I accepted my place in the up-and-down emotional cycle of climbing psyche. We all have days of normal strength, days where we feel like the Incredible Hulk, and days when we feel like we've just been partying in Miami all weekend.


So, how do you respond? You can brood and pout, or you can relish the opportunity to switch it up. Hop on some less intense climbs with fun movement, and focus on technique. Try some easy routes that you used to overlook on your way to your project. Cheer for your friends while they're on a climb.


If you're like me, you'll have to consciously remind yourself not to be a baby when you're having a weak day. Just cut yourself a nice big slice of humble pie and enjoy the ride.

1 comment:

  1. I hate those days. I've reacted in two ways. I either leave early in frustration and cook a delicious dinner or train extra hard to get out of the slump. The worst is when there's no apparent reason for the slump.

    Also, I'm really happy you guys have a blog. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete