Friday, April 1, 2011

Chalk It Up!

I know what you're thinking...it doesn't exist. Or at the very least there is so much personal bias that is involved in the answer, nobody dares asks the questions in a group full of climbers. What is the best climbing chalk? Before I answer, let me begin by saying that I am a chalk fiend, my hands sweat as much if not more than the rest of my body which is, with no shame, more than the average human. At one point I co-found a not for profit organization called Sweat Hogs Anonymous (SHA)...so I know my chalk. And here it is....

But first, an insight as to why everyone has there own answer, and it is all over the board. It's like everything else in climbing. Everyone likes what they like, or should I say everyone is so stubborn that they won't try anything that someone else likes because they know better. And it crosses the spectrum; shoes, ropes, harnesses, crash pads, even chalk bags! Yeah! Chalk bags! They hold chalk! I used to use a doubled up grocery bag filled with chalk and it was fine...but Organic bags are the bomb...but anyways. Here it is...


That's right, straight up, uncut Magnesium Carbonate. These guys have been making chalk the same way since the 80's, and the package looks like it too! This stuff is sold online for $6/pound! Cheaper than any other alternative and it rocks. I've used every chalk that I could find and here is how it breaks down for me top five style:

5. Any chalk ball by any company (only good for throwing at people or chalking up slightly wet or greasy holds)
4. Bison Chalk - this shit feels like a mix of confectioners sugar and flour
3. Metolious Super Chalk - made some bad batches but majority of the time great
2. Black Diamond Chalk - sometimes hard to find and a bit more expensive but never lets you down
1. Deary's 80's Chalk - cheap, straight-up chalk! It's the PBR of climbing chalk (you know you love it)

So there it is, take it for what it is and do what you will. Chances are you're going to stick with what you use because, well...you're a climber. I get it! But this chalk rocks and in case you stray from the stubborn side of yourself that swears that "Bison/Metolius/Black Diamond is the best ever made, hands down!" give them a shot...

http://www.gymsupply.com/

Long live SHA!

No comments:

Post a Comment